Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Green & Purple S13

I’m sorry I haven’t been updating regularly. My laptop & I were not on speaking terms for a while. It decided go on strike. But it works now, so business as usual.

Today, we have a green and purple S13 (for those of you who missed the title). It came in for a base map and dyno tuning, so we can’t take credit for the fabrication work, but there are a lot little things on it that we thought were cool. Like the placement of the intercooler. To this day, I can’t figure out why people put their intercooler and oil cooler in harms way. Hit one cone and you’re out. The initial expense is definitely more, and you can’t beat the efficiency and the look of a front mount intercooler, but even cheap intercoolers get can get expensive when you keep having to replace it every time you hit a cone or a curb.

Here’s the set-up from a different view. Notice the extremely short charge piping. That can’t be bad for spool-up.

Another clever custom piece. For those not up to date on the roll cage rules for formula D, the cage can’t go through the firewall to connect to the front shock towers. I believe there are other events that don’t allow that type of cage, so here’s the way around it:


I don’t know how effective it is compared to a ‘cage that fully ties everything together, but it’s definitely got to be better than nothing. It doesn’t seem like it’d be too hard to install, either. Painting after being welded in is the only hindrance I can think of. (it doesn’t look like it’d be fun to replace the windshield wiper motor either)

2 comments:

Jake aka c('.'c) said...

I shot this pic of some old Hondas in Japan which led me to your blog. Check it out...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2609352730_68a127164a_b.jpg

Blast Racing said...

That is awsome! I wonder how long that sticker's been on that car.